CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Mesa

Curtis and I were finally able to make it up to Mesa to go to the temple. It would have only been a 3 and 1/2 hour drive if we didn't have a baby, but with Nathan it was closer to 4 1/2 hours. It was quite an adventure getting there. We had to stop once so that I could feed Nathan, I told Curtis to just pick an exit and see if he could find a semi-secluded place off of the road. We found a dirt road right off of the freeway and as we were about to park we noticed a huge dead cow right next to the road...so we drove a bit further. About 30 minutes after we got back on the road Nathan was screaming his brains out and it smelled as though he was in desperate need of a diaper change, so once again I asked Curtis to take the next exit and pull over so that I could change Nathan. Once I got Nathan out of his car seat I saw that his seat was soaking wet! No wonder he was crying! After he was changed and had a dry(ish) seat we hit the road again. There wasn't an on ramp where we got off so we figured we would find one if we just drove down the road a bit. Unfortunately the road was flooded so we had to turn around, we were a bit annoyed, thinking that now we would have to back track quite a bit to find another on ramp because this was the ONLY road! We only were able to back track a little bit before we found that the road was flooded this way too! We were completely stuck! The only ways we could possibly go were both flooded. Our only option was to get onto the freeway from the offramp! Neither of us were very excited about this plan, but there was absolutely no other way! Fortunately the off ramp was positioned so that we could see the freeway very well and when nobody was coming we went for it! It was actually pretty anticlimactic because it was so easy. Anywho, we finally made it to Mesa and it was well worth the quick day trip, the temple was absolutely beautiful. Curtis, has lots of family in the area and has been there many times, but it was a first for me! Once we were finished at the temple we were able to visit Curtis' grandma, and we also made sure to make a stop at Inn-n-Out.



Nathan didn't seem to enjoy the trip very much. The car seems to be one of the only places that he cries much, which is funny to me because I thought that babies were supposed to like the car! He was perfect on the way home though because it was pretty late and he was tired!

We ended up spending about 8 hours in the car and only about 2 in Mesa. I can't wait until The Gila Valley Temple is finished so that we don't have to travel quite so far. Supposedly it will be finished in December or January, and it couldn't come too soon!

8 comments:

  1. Oh sad. It just kept getting sadder. I am confused though, how did you get to the road if it was flooded both ways? Not to sound incredulous, but did you drop down from the sky and land right in the middle of 2 flooded areas...highly improbably but not impossible I'm sure...or am I just not reading correctly? Probably the latter.

    I admire your perseverance Christian soldiers. I'm sure about 95% of us would have given up and turned around. However, the prospect of Inn-n-Out is quite compelling. (FYI They are starting to build one right by University Mall on State St. Hizzidy Heck Yeah!)

    P.S. Would it blow anyone's mind if I ate dessert first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've DIED trying to get on the freeway on the off-ramp...I'm such a baby :) Glad it ended up being uneventful for you, though! Macie is the same way - she hates the car. I wonder who all these babies are that supposedly love being in the car, cause it's sure not my kid, or yours apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alli, we got to the road from the off ramp. It was like an L, the road was the vertical part and the off ramp was the horizontal part and that's all there was. Did that just confuse you more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so was the road you turned onto a 1-way street?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No...hmmm let me try to explain exactly what happened. Ok, so we got on the off-ramp. At the end of the off-ramp we could turn East onto the road (we'll call it road x), so we could either turn East onto road x or West onto road x. So we turned East, but about 20 yards down road x the road was flooded. So we turned around and drove West down road x (passing the off ramp along the way). After traveling about 30 yards in this new direction the road was flooded again. So the only option was to turn around again and get back on the free way from the off ramp.

    Was that any clearer or should I just give up and explain it in person next month?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooooohhhhh!!! That makes perfect sense!! Thank you so much for explaining it to me in math word problem form, much more clear. Wooh! Have you seen the last episode of season 2 of The IT Crowd? I felt like Moss, "but why does Douglas want me to be your PA??"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen it! I have watched all but the last episode of season 2. I will watch it tomorrow though!

    ReplyDelete